32 tracks - song titles in Gaelic and English, with singers’ names (and track times):
- Teann A-Nall Ailean Thugam: Bring Alan Over To Me by Mary Morrison and chorus of Barra women (1.07)
- Tha Biodag Aig Macthòmais: Thomson Has A Dirk (Thomson’s Dirk) by Annie Arnott (1.37)
- Biodag Dhòmhnaill ‘Ic Alasdair: Donald Son of Alasdair’s Dirk (Skye Dance / MacAlister Wears A Dirk) by Alasdair Boyd (1.32)
- Nam Biodh Agam Giobal Bodaich: If I Had A Ragged Old Man (Clean Pease Strae) by Calum Johnston (0.33)
- Dhannsamaid Le Ailean: We Would Dance With Alan by Annie Arnott (0.47)
- O Rì A Choma Leam (Dhòmhn’ ‘Ic Calmain): O Rì I Couldn’t Care Less (Donald MacCalman) by John Kennedy (0.46)
- Faca Tu Saor An T-Sabhaidh?: Did You Joiner of Sawing? by Rev Dr William Matheson (0.37)
- Bi Tàrr As (Fear Nan Casan Caola): Take Off (Man Of The Skinny Legs) by Mary Morrison and Flora Boyd (0.31)
- Nam Bithinn Na Mo Mhaighdeann: If I Were a Maiden * Tha Fionnlagh Ag Innearadh: Finlay in Manuring * Mac A’ Phì: Mac-A-Phee (Mrs MacLeod of Raasay) by Kenneth MacIver (1.36)
- Ruidhleadh Mo Nighean Donn: My Brown-Haired Girl Will Reel (The Brown-Haired Maid) by Kate MacDonald (0,42)
- Poca Sìl An T-Sealgair: The Hunter’s Sack Of Seed * Nuair A Bha Mi An Cùl A’ Bhealaich (Ruidhle Beathaig): When I Was At The Back of Bealach (Beth’s Reel) by Jonathan MacDonald (1.27)
- Fhuair Mi Nead Na Gurra-Gùig: I Found The Dove’s Nest (Lady Madelina Sinclair) by Chrissie Mary MacDonald (0.27)
- Càit Am Bi Na Maraichean: Where Will The Sailors Be? by Kenneth MacIver (1.13)
- Nigheann Ruadh-Bhàn Aig Dòmhnall Ruadh Pìobair: Strawberry-Blond Daughter of Red Donald The Piper by Kate MacDonald (0.25)
- Tighinn Air A’ Mhuir Am Fear A Phòsas Mi: Coming Over The Sea Is The One Whom I Will Marry by Kitty MacLeod (1.23)
- Tha Mi Dol A Dhèanamh Banais: I’m Going To Wed (The Mason’s Apron / The Isla Reel) by Nan MacKinnon (1.06)
- Tha Fonn Air A’ Ghille Dhonn: The Brown Haired Lad Is On Good Form by Donald MacColl (1.06)
- Dh’Fhalbhainn Fada Ris A’ Ghealaich: I Would Travel Far By Moonlight by Annie Arnott (1.15)
- Dh’Fhalbhainn Fhin Leìs An Tàillear Mhòr: I Would Leave With The Big Tailor (The White Cockade) by Kate MacDonald (0.58)
- Cha Toirinn Còig Pheighinn Oirre: I Wouldn’t Give Five Pence For Her by Donald MacColl (1.43)
- Tha M’ Inntinn Raoir: My Mind Last Night (Munlochy Bridge) * Siubhad A Bhalachaibh: Go On Lads (Devil in The Kitchen) by Kenneth MacIver (2.25)
- Dili O Iodalam / Tha Bean Agam Tha Taigh Agam: A Wife I Have, A House I Have * Dòmhnall Dubh Nan Gobhar: Black-haired Donald Of The Goats (Jenny Dang The Weaver) by John MacInnes (1.47)
- Am Fear A Dh’ith Am Bonnach Mòr: The One Who Ate The Big Bannock (Munlochy Bridge) * Siud An Rud A Binn Am Milleadh: That’s The Thing That Caused The Ruin by Capt Donald Joseph MacKinnon (1.10)
- Gheibh Sinn Ribinnean Mòra, Mòra: We’ll Get Big, Big Ribbons by John MacInnes (1.09)
- Air Do Shlàinte, Mhàiri An Dotair (U Bhi A Bhi): Here’s To Your Health, Mary Of The Doctor * Mac A’ Phì: Mac-A-Phee (High Road To Linton) by John Shaw (1.35)
- Ruidhleadh Gogan A’ Chinn Mhòir: The Big-Headed Lout Reels (Cawdor Fair) * Maireabhal: Marrival by John MacInnes (1.59)
- Tha Maoileas Mòr Na Guailleadh: Big Myles Of The Shoulders * Eadar A Dhà Ghàrradh: Between Two Dykes by James MacDonald (1.42)
- Cairistiona Chaimbeul: Christina Campbell (The Miller of Drone) * Nam Amadan: A Fool I Am (The Soldier’s Joy) by Alex Hector MacPhail (1.45)
- Is Math A Dhannsadh Uisdean Friseal: It Is Well That Hugh Fraser Dances (The Standard on The Braes of Marr) by Nan MacKinnon (0.59)
- Far Am Bi Na Pìobairean (An Fhaidhir Mhuileach): Where The Pipers Will Be (The Lad Wi’ The Plaiddie / The Rose Among The Heather / The Mull Fair) * O Gur Duine Truagh Mi: Oh I Am A Wretched Man * Thoir A-Nall Ailean Thugam: Bring Alan Over To Me * Chuirinn Mo Bhalachan Shiubhal Nan Garbhlach: I’d Send My Lad To Travel The Rugged Country * Tha Fionnlagh Ag Innearadh: Finlay Is Manuring by Angus Campbell MacLeod (4.40)
- Bidh Or Na Cailliche Duibhe: The Black Old Woman’s Gold by Donald MacIntyre (0.40)
- Bidh Mi Orra Chùlaibh: I’ll Be At Our Back (The High Road To Linton) by Angus Campbell MacLeod (0.56)
See also the companion book to this CD: Keith Norman MacDonald’s Puirt-a-Beul.
Dance-songs feature in most Gaelic singers’ repertoires, but the range of songs performed today is a fraction of the surviving corpus.
With this album - the first in the Scottish Tradition Series dedicated to dance-song - the School presents songs that are rarely or never heard, whilst offering notable performances of well-known pieces.
The research began for this album by compiling a catalogue of Gaelic dance-songs from The School of Scottish Studies Archives (SSSA) and the National Trust for Scotland’s Canna Collection. This was compiled by Nathalie Bertaud, a recent graduate from Celtic and Scottish Studies. Nathalie found over 1,500 items, roughly 50% more than the School expected. She then listened to most of them and rated them on their suitability for this album. Her shortlist formed the basis of the School’s selection.
Will Lamb has worked tirelessly on this album.
The Scottish Tradition Series is quite unique and regarded as “the most important series of traditional recordings ever” - this latest addition ranks with the best in the Series.
If you have an account with one of these other music sites, login to stream or download samples or full tracks.
We accept PayPal and all major credit and debit cards.
Christmas & New Year Special Offer - SAVE 15% on ANY THREE OR MORE ITEMS in one order - that's £1.80 off every standard CD.
Applies to all products except special offer, stock clearance and overstock titles. Offer ends January 2nd 2021. Free postage within UK, international postage charges apply.
enter your email address:You can easily unsubscribe here, or by using the link in any message, or by contacting us. Greentrax are clear and transparent about what data we collect from you, in line with GDPR guidelines. By submitting this form you consent to Greentrax using your contact details to send monthly email updates on new releases and special offers. View all of our previous newsletters.